Thursday, August 6, 2015

Independence and Accessories

We went to the zoo earlier in the week. Actually we went to the zoo years ago when baby number one was still the one and only, but that isn't the point here. The reason for this post is twofold. One, I am posting every day a little something about Little Miss Princess before she turns 6. And two, I am making a tutorial as well. See. I can multi-post. (I think I just made up a new word here!! --squeal-- New words are awesome and I'm so good at creating them.)

Anyway, I was at the zoo....and on our way out waaaaay long ago we went through the gift shop-as they want you to. I found perhaps the coolest thing in the world. A lion water bottle holder that carries the bottle like a purse. Cue lights from above. See, in my mind this meant no more whining about needing a drink and stopping to grab it from the stroller or being stuck carrying it around. What?!?!! How had I not thought of that before!!??! I mean, seriously!! So of course I bought it. 

Let's jump ahead about 6 years or so and about 3 kids later and you will see that this is all coming together...finally. I have often thought since that time that I should have bought about 50 of those guys. The one we have is sought after, fought over, lost, found, dirtied, and cleaned and I still have never found another one. Really?!?!! 

Well, you know what they say. If you can't find it, make it! (Does no one say that? Well I do. And I do a LOT-just ask my husband.) So a few years ago I searched and found some ideas for crocheting one. I never did. That night I decided I would. It took me a few days to complete because I have 4 kids and about a million other things to do and the only time I get to crafts is usually when the girls are all asleep. In reality this only takes a few hours start to finish...especialy if you don't add anything to it. Alas, I couldn't just leave it empty so I decided to add a bow.  Here is th finished product.. (Sorry about the horrible photography. I was frantically trying to get the kids into bed with a fussy baby in my arms...but you get the point.)




Now, there are no real instructions for me to write out for you since I am using a free pattern I found on line. The major difference is that I chose to add some bling to it for my girls' individual personalities. But it is still super cute without those too.

I chose to basically follow the instructions from Little House in Colorado. Here is the link to her Crochet Water Bottle  I did make just a few adjustments. The strap was the perfect width but I hate working with chain stitches so I went ahead and did a SCFC (single crochet foundation chain). This has been a lifesaver for me. I can't imagine doing foundation rows any other way since I started this a few years ago. The other change I made was to shorten the length of the strap because I was making it for my littles. I ended up making a few different lengths and finally settled on 110 SC. However, now that it is complete and I see it on Little Miss Princess it seems too long. Well, only when there is a water bottle in it. LOL  I think the next one I make I will probably go to 90 or 100 SC.

For the bow, I was going to work up a pattern I've used before but I found this one and thought it was the perfect bow to add for Little Miss Princess. I found the pattern here: Crochet Bow
I did make a few changes to the pattern in the attempt to not have to weave in any ends but it actually made it more complicated. If I were to do it again, I would follow her pattern exactly. The instructions are pretty easy to follow.


So now that you've seen the finished product you might be asking, How does this fit in with Little Miss Princess? Well, it's that she loves loves loves an accessory. She takes anything that will go on her shoulder, in her hair, on her wrist, or around her neck. And this water bottle holder was no exception. She's been wearing it around with nothing in it. She did comment that she could now carry my water bottle for me! We'll see. I am going to start a few more to make the other girls happy as well. No more whining...or fighting...well for the water bottle holder at least. For now...

Any questions, just let me know. In the meantime...

Happy Creations!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment